Article ID: 2085 |
Category: Scanning |
Type: Hot Fix |
Last Modified: 4/10/2017
Cannot open TWAIN source / Source initialization failed
One of the following error massage appears during scanning Cannot open TWAIN source or Source initialization failed
Follow the instructions below to fix this problem:
- Start ABBYY FineReader 14;
- Open the Tools menu and select the OCR Editor item.
- In OCR Editor window select menu Tools > Options > General;
- In Select device for acquiring images section press "Select Device..." button;
- The Select Device pop-up window will appear. It should contain several scanner drivers. Try scanning an image using each one of them;
- Also try to select Use scanner's interface and scan an image.
If all of the scanner drivers and scanning with scanner's interface produce errors, use the TWAIN_32 Twacker application to check if your scanner's drivers are working properly:
- Exit ABBYY FineReader.
- Download Twack_32.zip.
- Unpack the archive you've just downloaded and install the Twacker application by double-clicking Twack_32.exe.
- Open the File menu in TWAIN_32 Twacker and select the Acquire item.
- Click the Scan button in the dialog that appears.
- If Twacker successfully scans an image, one of your scanner's drivers is working properly. Find out which one it is by opening the File menu in Twacker and selecting the Select Source item. The driver used for the successful scan will be indicated in blue. Select the same driver in ABBYY FineReader and try scanning. If ABBYY FineReader still produces an error, please contact the technical support service.
- If Twacker couldn't scan an image, the drivers for your scanner aren't working properly. In this case you should update or re-install your scanner's drivers. You can contact the technical support service of your scanner's manufacturer for help with re-installing the drivers for your scanner.